Friday, September 20, 2013

How to Cure Strep Throat! Without Antibiotics…

It gets a little unnerving when you learn that produce growers are allowed to use low doses of antibiotics on their plants to ward off diseases, and still carry the “Organic” title. We work so hard to stay away from antibiotics so that when they are really needed, they succeed! So in order to avoid the standard prescription, you need an arsenal of at-home remedies.



First off, let me just say that Elderberry Syrup is a lovely cure-all just with the sheer amount of antioxidants packed into each spoonful! A naturopath would recommend that when you start to feel crummy, and your immune system is getting kicked in the butt, take Elderberry every 2 hours as needed, and a high dose of vitamin C every 4 hours. It’s like superjuice for your immune system! You can find both of those things at Whole Foods, Super Supplements, or online, but to really save some cash, make it yourself! Mama Cook’s blog tells you how to do it, and I can vouch for it!! So read this post at Cook’s Cottage to learn how to make the syrup!


That recipe is great for the flu, a cold, and general illness, plus speeding up the recovery process. But, if you are getting that sore throat, swollen tonsils, and maybe a little fever to go along with it, you need something specific! Remember, the earlier you catch it, the quicker it goes away!


Strep Throat Paste
1 Tablespoon RAW Honey
¼ - ½ Teaspoon CAYENNE (strong batch the first day, weaker batch okay after that)
3 Raw Minced Cloves of GARLIC


Mix it all together and you have a spicy paste! Take ¼ Teaspoon every HALF HOUR! If you miss a dose, take one as soon as you can, then continue with the half hour increments.



The Cayenne doubles as a numbing agent, and will sooth some aching tonsils in between doses. This paste creates a hostile environment in your throat, which will not allow the strep bacteria to live. It’s an official eviction notice! So drink some RED TEA in between doses to flush out the dying bacteria, and give your immune system some help. Red tea, also known as Rooibos tea comes from an African bush and it’s roots, which have healing properties.



One last piece will kick any unwanted throat visitor out the door--Oil of Oregano! Also at Whole Foods and Super Supplements, take 30 drops in 4 ounces of water every 4-6 hours, up to 4 times a day. Since the strains of diseases are becoming stronger, sometimes you need stronger medicine to combat them. Oil of Oregano is expensive, but will last forever, and is a little easier to give to kids who might cry when consuming the Strep Throat Paste.



I had that tickly throat, and I thought it would go away, stepped up my water intake and thought for sure I would be fine. But on day two I had the chills, a fever, and white spots in my throat, it was quick, and intimidating! Sometimes when you’re sick, you just feel like you’re going to die! I was not about to surrender and go to the doctor though, that’s 20 bucks just to get in the door, and at least 10 for whatever prescription they were going to give me!


Instead, I took the Strep Throat Paste every half hour, up to bedtime, plus a 4 oz tincture and water of Oil of Oregano every 4 hours, and a cup of Red Tea with some Raw Honey to sweeten it, every hour or two! That first day of action I felt horrible, swollen, and had no idea if anything was working, all I knew was that it tasted awful, and stung my tonsils a bit...I dreaded every dose.


Day two was a little better. I noticed that most of the paste was hitting my right tonsil, and coincidentally that side was feeling a little better, but only a little. I tried to even out my swallowing, haha, if that’s even possible, and by the end of the day my right tonsil felt almost completely better!


Day three was just getting my left side into the same condition as my right! I also noticed that the paste and the Oil of Oregano do not sting as much when there is no bacteria present! By the end of day three I was good to go! Maybe only 90% better, but my body could handle the rest!


Let me just say that I started this regimen thinking I was going to have to go to the doctor in the end. I was giving it 3 days to start showing improvement, but I’ve got two girls under age 3 and I’m not allotted sick days! With this pocketfull of remedies I was able to continue taking care of the family, and no one else caught my strep! My hubby had to take the stuff, but only for a couple doses, because we caught his scratchy throat before it turned into a full-blown infection! No little girls got it, and I attribute that to the quick acting remedies!!!


It would take a long time to die from strep, remember that when you’re in the thick of it! If you’re not improving after 5 days (assuming you caught your bug late, and your poor throat is inundated) then go to the doctor. Just give this an honest shot! I would not recommend it if I didn’t have such AMAZING results!!!!

This is what I've found online. Whole Foods 365 Brand was $6 for a 1# jar of Raw Honey! But their Oil of Oregano was $16... and their Red Tea was $1.08 per ounce, so it would be cheaper to get just what you need if you're in a pinch, otherwise it's more economical to get the whole bag on Amazon and save it for the future! This tea should be able to be re-steeped up to 5 times!


1 comment: