Thursday, January 23, 2014

Frugal Hair Care--How to Bleach Your Own Hair and My Vegan Hair Care Regimen

First off, I would not recommend this process to anyone with virgin hair! Please go to a salon and get yourself taken care of how you want your hair to look, and WATCH THEM! Ask what they're using! I did this by natural curiosity first, before ever considering doing my own hair.

If you live in my area, I know the perfect gal, she gave me a friend discount, which if you have a friend, by all means...USE THEM! Otherwise, this girl is good! And has the sweetest, most genuine heart! Her name?


Heather Cochran




In Mukilteo at a J. Paul Salon

She works at the cutest little shop by the ferry docks, and from her chair you get to overlook the Sound! How's that for a tranquil, treat yourself day?! With skill I would highly recommend!

Buuuut, if you've been to your salon artist a dozen times already, and you know that you need 40 volume to lighten those roots, then now it's YOUR TURN! (Word to the wise though, even stylists let other stylists cut their hair, so DON'T DO IT yourself, unless it's your bangs, you won't be happy!)


Now it's time to head out to Sally's! My hair needs 40 volume to lift the dark roots out, yours may only need 20, so pay attention! So this is my list:



  • Powder Bleach
  • 40 Volume Creme Developer
  • Ion Cool Blonde Shampoo (It's vegan, and takes the brassy out of the blonde)
  • Ion Cool Blonde Conditioner
  • Ion Effective Hair Treatment Reconstructing Conditioner
  • Mixing Bowl
  • Brush
  • Clips
Then for your colored hair care between treatments, I recommend Ion! Their entire line of products is vegan and it all works very well! You can do a little cheaper if you go to another brand, but I'll pay the couple extra dollars for vegan certification! Use Ion Cool Blonde (purple bottle) every other wash. Ion Keratin Shampoo and Conditioner (brown bottle) every other wash. Then Ion Clarifying Shampoo (clear purple bottle) and Ion Effective Hair Treatment Reconstructing Conditioner (red bottle) once in the middle between treatments.

For a 1lb tub of bleach and all of the tools, volumizer, and shampoo bottles to last at least a year, my end cost was $53. That's less than two visits to the salon (for me) and I covered ALL of my hair care! Thanks to my mom for tipping me off to doing it myself, if I didn't hear about her classy friend doing it herself, I never would have tried! I was saving half off of my bleaches, because I am a lucky girl and have an awesome friend, but now I've freed up her time to take care of higher paying clients, and I'm saving $350 a year!!


Bleach needs


Immediate after bleaching hair care!

To prep, get a clean space, preferably the bathroom sink, and set yourself up with a mounted mirror and a handheld mirror to use reflections to see the back of your head. Get a handtowel to wrap around your shoulders and pin it shut with one of your hairclips. While this will protect your shirt and shoulders from bleach, I recommend wearing clothes you don't care too much about, because you will end up with little bleach dots on the booty of your yoga pants!


Start with the back. Mix up your bleach in the developer. I'm a noob, so I do 1.5 times the amount, because I use it all! Brush your hair! Vitally important, seems like I shouldn't have to say it, but even I've forgotten before! Using a mirror to try to see back there, part your hair into 6 sections for easy manageability. Now, going horizontally (like a ladder) part your hair at the nape of your neck, all the way across. Unclipping and reclipping your sections as needed to get the part. Doesn't have to be perfect, just try your best. Paint the roots of the strands with bleach by lifting the parted hair, painting the underside, laying it back down and painting the top side and underside of what will be your next part. Feel free to dip your brush as many times as needed to fully coat each strand. No need to glob, it will foam and expand a bit, but don't be stingy either! Repeat the process all the way up your scalp!


When you reach your crown, your crescent shaped parts (inching their way up your head) will start to come together, at which point you can decrease the number of clips, and start parting on just one side, as you would part your hair to style it. That is up to your discretion.


Try to keep your parts to 1/4 inch. Yeah. Right. Because you will be so perfect with your little paintbrush tool...as long as you are able to coat all your roots with bleach, you are golden! Or should I say platinum? The whole process takes me 1 hour to complete myself, then I let it sit and sizzle for another hour.




Now rinse and use the Ion Cool Blonde Shampoo! It will take the brassy out, k? I don't use toner, it doesn't work on my hair, and I prefer a more natural looking blonde. I feel that without toner, the depth of the color is variegated in waves with the space between dye jobs and length of process, which is more akin to a natural blonde's hair which lightens and darkens of its own accord. As you're washing out that bleach, be careful not to scratch with your nails, it leaves a burning sensation that does not go away! Use the pads of your fingers instead. Then apply a generous amount of Ion Repair Solutions Reconstructing Conditioner. If you don't, your hair will become very weak and break off easily. Add back in those proteins!



And you're done!

(On the Blue Flash below...pick the 16 oz tub, it's just as economical as buying from Sally's. The shampoos though, Sally's does a buy two get one free deal all the time...so if you can get there, it will save you $12 off of your Amazon list)





Per the concern of my lovely hair stylist friends, while 40 volume works fine on my hair, I would recommend 20 volume twice...giving at least 3 days between application. Always start lower, because yes, your current stylist knows what they're doing, they've been to school for it. You will have an even tone if you apply twice instead of going for it at 40! There are quite a few horror stories out there, scalp damage, etc. There are a lot of factors for choosing your ideal developer and frequency of application, as in time, money, and condition of your hair. Use your best judgement please!

No comments:

Post a Comment